One of my favorite places to eat in the metro Detroit area is Sweet Lorraine's Cafe, located in the Marriott hotel in Livonia (at Laurel Park Place). One of my high school friends introduced me to the restaurant, and we like to go there to eat when she's back in town. When Sweet Lorraine's contacted me to share a delicious recipe from Lorraine with my readers, there was no way I could refuse; her food is always fantastic.
Chef Lorraine Platman is the woman behind Sweet Lorraine's, and she now operates Sweet Lorraine's Fabulous Mac n' Cheez, which you might have spotted at Great Lakes Crossing or at the Somerset Collection - it's more of a quick-serve restaurant and at Somerset, you can find it in the food court.
Lorraine recently did an interview with Fox 2 News to promote American Cheese Month, and you can find the recipe for her Twisted Grilled Cheez sandwich there, which is a staple at her Mac n' Cheez restaurants.
Twisted Grilled Cheez recipe
One big batch of macaroni cheese sauce
Four 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
2 cups – low sodium vegetable stock
3 oz. unsalted butter
4 oz. – all purpose flour
1 tbsp kosher salt
2 oz parmesan cheese
2 lbs. shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 tbsp dry mustard
1. Heat evaporated milk and stock, while heating - melt butter over medium.
2. Heat - whisk in flour until combined. Pour heated milk mixture into butter/flour slowly.
3. Whisk until smooth and fully combined. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients with immersion blender until smooth.
Yields 8 cups.
|photo credit: fox2detroit.com|
Sweet Lorraine's has the opportunity for one of my lucky readers to win a $10 gift card to Sweet Lorraine's Fabulous Mac n' Cheez restaurants!
You must live within driving distance of one of the Mac n' Cheez locations (most of which are in Michigan) to enter this giveaway. These include:
- Great Lakes Crossing Outlets (Auburn Hills)
- Somerset Collection (Troy)
- Detroit (Midtown - across from Wayne State)
- Detroit (Renaissance Center)
- East Lansing
- Vernon Hills, IL (Marketplace of Vernon Hills)
*Gift card can only be used at a Mac n' Cheez location, and not at the Livonia or Southfield Sweet Lorraine's Cafe locations.
Enter via the widget below. Giveaway will end on Friday, January 15th, at 11:59pm EST, and winner will be notified the next day via email and have 24 hours to respond, otherwise an alternate winner will be chosen.
$10 Mac N' Cheez gift card